4 things to look for in a recruiter.

4 things to look for in a recruiter.

A good recruiter will make your life easier by saving you time and money. Here are the things you should look for in a recruiter:

1. Experience.
I used to believe that recruitment was a young persons game. I used to believe energy and enthusiasm were enough. I was wrong. The need to be experienced, level-headed and able to remove the emotion from situations is more vital than ever before. Recruitment is tough, tougher than ever in some markets. Experience helps you spot things quickly. I can instinctively spot a time waster, question a contractor who will never go permanent regardless of what he or she is saying, know when a candidate is going to cancel an interview or when an offer is going to be turned down. A good recruiter will also arrange interviews, chase for feedback, negotiate salary and, most importantly, save you time!

2. Specialist knowledge
I believe the best recruiters are market specialists. They have their finger on the pulse and know what’s happening and who’s who in the industry. In the technology sector it’s impossible for a recruiter to be a specialist in Python and PHP and .Net. How can one person possibly be the “go to” person in all 3 markets?

I know some businesses who have the same recruiter searching for sales people on a Monday, project managers on a Wednesday and IT Managers on a Friday. Placements are made by luck. It’s a 10% service at best, and not one I’d want.

Personally I like to work to an 80/20 rule, 80% of my time and energy is spent working in a specific market of technology. The other 20% of my time is spent working on briefs for key clients I’ve worked with over the years.

3. Trust and honesty

You should be open and honest with your recruiter about:
What you really want
What you’re prepared to pay
Who you’re already talking to
Where you are in the process

And they should be honest with you about:
The current state of the market
Whether your requirements are realistic
Whether the salary is realistic

If you get this right you will build a level of trust that will serve both of you in good stead for any future dealings.

I’d recommend you look for signs of push back and see this as a positive. I’d be more inclined to trust a recruiter that doesn’t agree with everything you say. If you’re not paying enough or have unrealistic expectations you need to know.

4. Deliver
Above all else a recruiter has to deliver. Building relationships is great, becoming friends and socialising with clients and candidates is a excellent perk of the job, but in my experience delivering the end result is what really matters. I worked with a recruiter who used to deliberately go to the other side of town to meet clients and buy them a beer every Friday. I’m sure they loved it but once he stopped delivering great CVs and making hires, the beer alone wasn’t enough to maintain the relationship.

It’s hard to judge delivery until you have given someone an opportunity but with so many good recruiters out there most of us know we have to make placements. If I were a client I wouldn’t be waiting for the next PSL review or worrying too much about how many cupcakes have been sent this week, my priority would be finding an experienced specialist recruiter who, first and foremost, delivers.

So there we go, some tips on choosing the right recruiter for your next hire!

For more information regarding this blog or Lewis Hollings please contact me on Jordan@Lewishollings.com or call me on 07858 973 473

One thought on “4 things to look for in a recruiter.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s